Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Weather

Oh, how easy it is to hate the weather.

8 hours in the sun refereeing, burning to a crisp despite high-powered sunscreen. Followed by a hot drive home and a nap in the evening humidity. Now I'm sitting in my room trying to write while ignoring the sweat. Ugh. Fan on setting two. Anything higher will blow the paper on my incredibly disorganized desk around. And that would be bad.

Who am I to complain? There's nothing like (or quite as quintessentially Canadian, really) as complaining about the summer heat after having spent all winter complaining about the cold. In February I'll be able to write a post about how cold and wet everything is and longing for soccer season. But right now, I'm just overheated and longing for hockey season (I noticed the first symptoms of Red Wings withdrawal when the free agent window opened--though for the record I like the Ian White signing quite a bit).

Part of the problem is I'm stuck halfway through a long and plot-contrived chapter pertaining to fire and smoke imagery. So I have to keep coming up with imagery for warmth and heat. I've always been one of those people who tends to feel what I'm reading/writing--so if I'm doing a desert, I head downstairs for a water bottle. Which is beginning to seem like a real good idea right now.

In fact, it's time I got back to trying to get through these trials of fire, so to speak. And making them make sense plot-wise. And I think I'm heading down for a cold drink. And turning the fan up to setting three, messy desk be damned.

(And having just written my first ever weather "article", that was way, way, way too easy. Now I know why journalists are always doing it. To any Gazette writers thinking weather stories are cool--think again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site is a conversation and you are a part of that. You are encouraged to add your ideas. Because this is creative content comments will be pre-moderated for civility. If you can't comment respectfully this isn't the blog for you.